KIDS PARTY IDEAS: HOW TO PLAN A KID'S BIRTHDAY
Your birthday party preparation list on how to plan an unforgettable kid’s party
Kids love parties – that’s just an obvious fact of life! But there’s no denying that kid’s birthday parties often require a lot of effort on their parent’s part. With so many details to consider – such as the venue, theme, decorations, and food – it can be quite overwhelming.
Thankfully, LENZO is here to help you. As Australia’s number one party planners, we love nothing more than a good celebration (in fact, we’ve hosted quite a few great ones, if we do say so ourselves!) So, we’ve put together the ultimate kid’s birthday party checklist to help take the stress away from party planning. You’ll find everything you need here to get you inspired – from kid’s party entertainment to venues, decorations, invitations, cake, and even party food.
Kids birthday party themes and ideas
First and foremost, you almost always need a theme! There are many to choose from when planning a children’s birthday party - you just need to find one that suits their personality and interests (in some cases, your child might even help with this one!)
Choosing the theme of your kid’s birthday party will determine a lot of the other details involved, such as the decorations through to the type of food served, the invitations, and even the venue. Once you’ve chosen the theme, you can get started on planning everything else!
We’ve created a list of party themes for your children’s birthday. Some are unusual, while some ideas are tried and true:
- Princess or superhero party: The obvious choice for the little girl or boy in your life celebrating their birthday.
- Beach or pool party: Just add water to create an awesome summer-themed celebration.
- Space party: Space party: This is a great boy’s birthday party idea that they will remember to infinity and beyond.
- Boho slumber party: Think dream catchers, lots of fringe garlands, paper fans, throw rugs – and of course, pink!
- Safari or Jungle Party: With so many jungle party decorations out there, styling this theme will be a breeze!
- Rainbow party: An injection of bright colours is a timeless birthday party idea for kids
- Roller party: Roller skates + glitter + tons of balloons. Is there anything cooler?
Kids party venues
Once you’ve established your party theme, it’s time to consider kid’s party venues. Will you have it in your home’s indoor or outdoor space, or do you have the budget for a unique venue? Whether you’re hosting a 1st birthday or a surprise party for an 8-year-old, you need a stylish atmosphere in which to entertain your little guests.
Here’s just a few children’s party venues in Melbourne that we love and recommend:
- Werribee Open Range Zoo
- Lucky Penny
- Melbourne Zoo
- Canvas House
- The George Ballroom
Of course, if you’ve already decided to host your kid’s birthday party at home, then you’ll need to transform the space with amazing decorations.
Buy party decorations online
A party just isn’t complete without balloons, streamers, and partyware, so set the scene of your event with the right themed party supplies. The decorations can be as simple or as creative as you like. Time permitting, you can even indulge in a little DIY crafts. However, if you’re low on time, it’s always a good idea to buy or hire birthday party decorations.
Where do you go to source the best boutique themed party supplies in Australia? Online at LENZO, of course! Our marketplace is full of amazing children’s party supplies from Melbourne or Sydney, Brisbane and beyond. Just some of our fave suppliers that you can shop directly from us include:
- Ruby Rabbit Partyware - a curated selection of the most beautiful hand-picked party decorations. With themes ranging from unicorn to rockstar, Ruby Rabbit Partyware really is a one stop shop.
- Little Boo Teek - one of the most extensive ranges of partyware online, Little Boo Teek has decorations to match any budget.
- Parties Made Pretty – if you want paper plates, cups, straws and other themed party decorations, Parties Made Pretty is your new go-to!
- Palm and Pine Party Co – from jumbo number balloons to lemonade dispensers and a large range of honeycomb balls, Palm and Pine Party Co can cater to every occasion.
- Design My Party – fill your party with the most stunning balloon arrangements, confetti, and streamers from Design My Party.
- Favor Lane - with a strong focus on current party trends, Favor Lane is filled with only the best brands and most incredible party products!
Kids party hire
When hosting a kid’s birthday party at home (or at a venue), all the little details really count when creating a memorable event. Adult-sized chairs and tables just won’t do for the little ones, so you might need to hire your children’s party equipment – such as the furniture – to ensure it’s in perfect proportion to tiny bodies.
However, kids party hire is not limited to tiny tables and chairs, though – it could be anything from a cubby house to a set of teepees or even a fairy floss cart! Just remember: they’re a lot shorter than us adults, so ensure desserts and other goodies are kept at eye-level. This might mean replacing standard-sized tables with low steel barrels or lounge chairs with ottomans. Get creative with your party hire so you can accommodate for all the little ones.
Kid’s party entertainment
As we all know, children need to be entertained or they become restless (and dare we say, destructive?) If you’re looking for unique things to do for a child’s next special event, check out some of these different and popular ways of entertaining kids at parties:
- Balloon entertainer
- Face painting
- Girls glamour package
- Superhero/princess character performers
- Jumping castle
Of course, it’s all about planning age-appropriate activities, so what might appeal to a toddler might not necessarily work for those aged 6 and up. Whatever children’s entertainment you decide, it’s sure to be a novelty for all guests.
The most important ingredient: kid’s party food
Food is an important factor for any party, but when it comes to kid’s birthday parties, it’s only second to the gift receiving! Once you’ve got your guest list and RSVPs, you can start thinking about how much food you’ll need.
While your child and their party guests won’t say no to fairy floss or jelly beans, it’s the hosts who will dread that inevitable sugar crash. At LENZO, we acknowledge that kid’s party food should be fun, so there’s no need to ban all sugar and carbs. However, it’s still possible to make your child’s birthday food healthy without compromising on the level of enjoyment.
Here’s a few ideas on what healthy kids party food to serve:
- Fruit kebabs
- Marshmallow icy pops
- Frozen carrot dips
- Hommus or avocado dip
Kid's birthday cakes
And let’s not forget that birthday cake! It’s often what kids look forward to most at a party, so you don’t want to disappoint. While there’s no substitute for chocolate, it’s possible to make the cake healthier with the right ingredients.
If you’re not a baker or simply strapped for time, you can always get a professional to handle your order. Just let them know what you have in mind, and they’ll be able to create something #AMAZING.
Hopefully by now you have some ideas on how to plan a kid’s birthday party – whether at home or at a selected venue. Still need a bit of help? We’re here for you!
LENZO – Melbourne’s best kid’s birthday party organisers & stylists
Did you know that LENZO also styles kid’s parties? That’s right – we can help you create a birthday party your child won’t forget. Just tell us what you have in mind, and we’ll provide you with a mood board, as well as where to go to buy your party supplies in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth or Brisbane. We can even help you with your set-up!